Wednesday, February 18, 2004

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

First, for those beautiful few who read my blog, but are not either my co-workers or wife, check out yesterday's (Tuesday, Feb. 17th) debate on vegetarianism over here.

As you know, I'm a certified omnivore, surprisingly, one of the few of my friends who are. My wife is vegetarian, two of my co-workers are vegetarian and two of the couples we are friends with are as well..okay, one of those couples is vegan, but that's not the point.

The point is this: none of the above people give me a hard time about my choice to eat meat. This is in stark contrast with the vegetarians I knew when I was a teenager. Maybe there's something about that mixture. Teenage self-righteousness and vegetarianism. But, it's simply no good. When we'd go out to eat, I'd constantly hear: "Oh, you like that dead meat carcass?". And I'm not talking once or twice, but every-single-time I ordered meat I had to hear about how I was eating some piece of cooked flesh. I don't know if they were trying to "convert" me, but it did not succeed in getting me to give up meat. Instead, I just stopped inviting them out to any restaurants.
(Side note: two of you reading this blog know one of these people are - initials: W.L.)

Now, well, I'm vegetarian about 80% of the time. I never cook meat at home and, often, do not even get it when we go out to eat. Do I think it's hampered my life? Certainly not. In fact, I feel that I'm more sympathetic to vegetarians than I used to be. I look with a more critical eye at restaurants, particularly chain ones which offer very limited vegetarian options, a fact which, with the growing % of people choosing to either cut out or limit their meat intake, does not fail to disgust me. Of course, those chain restaurants as a whole are just above McDonald's on my foodie totem pole. But that's a post for another day.

|