Friday, February 27, 2004

So, tonight is my *first cooking class*.
Knife Skills/Vegetables at the Western Reserve School of Cooking.
In typical "me" fashion, I'm pretty nervous about the whole thing. That's not to say I'm not also immensely excited about it. But, there's always the fear that I'll walk in there and my, what I believe to be, moderate skills with be revealed to be pretty poor. Then again, that's why I'm taking this class. I suppose I have nothing to worry about.

As always, I'll be sure to report how it goes. This will, hopefully, be the first of many classes I'll be taking, at WRSOC and otherwise. Another step towards my goal of food domination ;)

Seriously, other than a select few, I don't know if I've ever shared my food goals. Why I spend so much time thinking about this stuff. (Well, other than I simply love food.) I have put a great deal of thought into this. You know, deciding if this is going to be just-for-fun and the occasional dinner party, or if I'm going to go farther with it. Right now, I can say I would like to make it a career, but that's really another reason I'm taking these classes, to help discover where I want to go with this knowledge. As an at-home-chef, I'll be the first to admit I have *no* idea about the inner workings of a real restaurant. None. At the same time, I don't know if that's even the direction that would be best for me. I'm very much a morning person, so being up to 2am cooking is not exactly appealing. Then again, there's lots of other options in the culinary field beyond that: working at a breakfast-lunch-early dinner cafe, catering, personal chef (though I have doubts if my personality would really fit that one) and on... Genevieve jokes that I should be a baker, as their -damn-early- schedules would work perfectly for me ;) I really don't have very loft goals though. My "dream job" would be to work at a little hole-in-the-wall cafe, serving up well-prepared, good, simple food. As for gourmet feasts, it's been my stance that, though I love that sort of food and I'd like to have the *ability* to cook it, that's not what I'd like to do.

What I do know is that this office-type work is not for me. When I got out of school, it really seemed like what I wanted to do. After all, a job where you sit on your ass all day and does not involve manual labor, well, that sounded pretty good. And I can't say it's been all bad. But, working in a cube all day, well I can say for certain that's not where I see myself years from now.

|