Monday, March 01, 2004

You know, I don't think I'd ever really appreciated a well-written recipe until I read a bad one.

So, the other night, Genevieve prints out this recipe for a chickpea Indian dish (the name slips me) for us to make on Sunday. As I'm prepping for the recipe, going through my usual once-over to make sure there's not some step at the end that's like: "then cook the tomatoes for two hours", which I've noticed some recipes do and is a big pet peeve of mine, I notice that, not only do the instructions leave a lot to assumption, but the ingredients are not even printed in order. Those who make Indian dishes probably know that many of them involve an oil mixture added at the end. Usually some lightly fried spices swirled into the final dish. This one also had that, but they spices used were interplayed throughout the listing (not at the end like what would - make sense). So, as I'm cooking, I have to henpeck around the ingredients to get the measurements while at the same time, skipping around the instructions so it all flowed in a cohesive manner. The latter of which did *not* end up happening, but was resurrected by some help from Genevieve.
In the end, the dish turned out fabulous. Probably one of the best Indian dishes we've made. But, it was also one of the most stressful. I'll probably make it again, but not before completely rewriting the recipe.

|