Friday, April 23, 2004

Back to food next week, I promise.

As for now, I figured I'd finish the week out with music. Today: getting songs stuck in your head.

As Genevieve knows quite well, I am veritable SPONGE for ambient music. I don't mean Brian Eno, I mean the stuff they pump out of the loudspeakers at grocery stores and restaurants. All of it kept at such a level that it doesn't interefer with your shopping "experience", but invariably drills its way into my head for hours to come. Shopping at Dave's, in Ohio City, it's not as bad. They play alot of 70's funk and generally semi-hip stuff. Tops in Lakewood, with their sheened over light rock, is way worse. Still, there's not a week which goes by where I don't end up humming or singing some song which I don't even remember hearing. But all of that pales in comparison to the staying power of one song:

Come on, Eileen - by Dexy's Midnight Runners. I don't know what it IS about this song, but all I need to hear are the first few opening bars and, for WEEKS, it's "Come on Eileen , I swear at this moment, you mean everything" over-and-over-and-over. I don't even particularly *like* the song.

|