Tuesday, April 06, 2004

It's funny how our diets change over the years. Take something so simple as breakfast.

When I was a kid, I wanted nothing more than to fill my face with sugared cereals. Frosted Flakes, Lucky Charms, Count Chocula. Instead, I got Kix, Cheerios (which, to this day, I hate), Rice Crispies...

The one time I remember getting a sugared cereal (beyond family vacations, where my sister and I would get those lovely little multipack boxes of cereal), it was a "Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back" cereal. I think there were little marshmallow Death Stars in there, which is kind of funny in retrospect. I vowed that, when I grew up, I'd get sugared cereals every *day*!

And, true to my word, once I moved out on my own, it was all about every sort of spaz-inducing, sprinkle a bit of grain in a tub of sugar and call it cereal, breakfast I could find.

Fast-forward to today.
This morning: fried polenta stuffed with toasted walnuts, strawberries and topped with brown sugar. (Which sounds fancy, but really tasted a lot like pancakes - good pancakes, but..nonetheless. Yesterday's fried mushrooms and queso fresco omelet was much better.) Now, if I were to eat cereal, it would most likely involve heavy amount of granola or be Grape Nuts.

Note: I am a deadly assassin, check it out

|