Thursday, April 15, 2004

Okay, I'm blogging, I'm blogging.
Sheesh, I feel so wanted.

Anyways, this weekend is a semi-big foodie one and it fills me with a both a sense of excitement and nervousness.
First up is my French Bread class. I know, it sounds kind of silly to take a class just on making French Bread. But, it's my hope that I can parlay some of the knowledge into other types of bread making. (Note: we neither own nor plan to own a "bread machine". Bread Machines are for pansies). This also marks my second WRSOC class. In related news, I've started the process of enrolling in Tri-C's Culinary Arts course. At this point, I just need to take my math placement tests. It's already my assumption that I'm going to be in "dumb person math", so I doubt there will be any surprises there.

Also this weekend is another Wine Tasting w/ Chef Mike aka Tofu. This one is going to be buffet-style, so much more of a low-impact workout. The other side of it is that I'm getting to make my first dish for one of these tastings. After much research, I settled on a pizza with a chipotle tomato sauce, roasted corn and queso fresco. I tried it out last weekend on the guys from Cyanotic (see Monday's blog) and it was a big hit. I'm going to do a little bit more experimentation today and tomorrow to perfect the recipe. My only concerns with it right now are that I'm going to be going straight from my class to Mike's, so I need to figure out how I want to prep the pizzas. Right now, my thought is to do little mini-servings, get 'em almost done w/o the cheese at home and then throw the cheese on and throw 'em the oven at the tasting for about 5 minutes. I'm going to test this out today and find out if it dries the crust out too much. I'm also going to work in a bit of cornmeal into the crust, for taste (and take it further down the Mexican road). I also need to work with the spice level a bit. Personally, I love spicy food, so I know when I made it last weekend, I had the level up pretty high. I know I need to tone that down a bit and find a happy medium that gives a bit of a kick without burning the average (or even non-firey)pallette.

So, I'm heading out to the Mi Pueblo grocery store for a little shopping today.
Wish me luck!

|