Thursday, April 22, 2004

Well, seeing as how we only got one real vote (and one forced one ;), Resolution it is.

First, the lyrics.

Resolution
--------------------------------
Go to grab the sun
burning from the earth
as the sirens call
the last child's birth.

This is the song of redemption,
resolution
to feed retribution.

Singing the voice of confusion
despair
leading to disillusion.

As it rains down tears,
pours from the sky.
The horizons turn to black
the days turn to night.

But just as the soil is burning blood
The moonlight fades to day
but the dawn will come
through fight, or faith away
--------------------------------

Let me start off by saying that I attribute alot of this song's strength to Greyson's vocal performance. He seemed to really be able to get into this song lyrically and, as such, delivered some killer takes in the "studio". It's one of our first songs, but I feel it's held up rather nicely, with a few tweaks along the way.

That aside, I have to say that I'm kind of relieved this one got chosen, as it's probably the least personal out of all of our songs. In fact, that was kind of the point of it. With other songs, I tend to write in a very "I" or "me" stance. They deal more with internal goings-on, rather than tell a story (except "Rift" - which is the only other completely non-personal song). So, with Resolution, I wanted to do something broader in scope, more grandiose. Yes, maybe even a little over-the-top, which it is. In short, it's about the faithless surviving the biblical apocalypse (not to be confused with the weekly apocalypse on Angel ;). As most of you know, I am an atheist, but I enjoy reading about religion and, for awhile, was quite on a bible-reading kick. So I wrote a song about if the "end times" came and, instead of the faithful surviving while all the atheists were destroyed, people died, regardless of faith and people lived, regardless of faith. I know it's a bit much to put into so few words and, to be honest, I don't think I did it effectively at all. I think the whole "end times" thing is pretty clear, but the other tones in it are not expressed nearly enough. Ah well, it's still a fun ditty.

|