Tuesday, May 11, 2004

So, with the summer heat starting to come on, I'm thinking about trying out this "Raw Foods" trend. Not for any reason other than I just hate being in a stuffy kitchen, roasting both the things in the oven and myself in the process. Yesterday, I decided to make these little lo-fat pita pizzas with roasted eggplant & garlic, carmelized onions and mushrooms. A yummy little modified recipe. The only problem was that our oven doubles as a space heater and our kitchen fan has been practicing for it's dance tryouts (resulting the most annoying clatter when it's on). It all ended well, but not before I was ready to start on a cold soups and sushi menu ;)

Now, it did cool down and, as the evening wore on, I did go back to soften some beans for a black bean & corn salad and (requested) more refried beans. But, an interesting side note to this: I'm sure Mike knows this, but did you know that a lime added to simmering black beans turns the water a wine-ish red? I discovered this because I had a little laying around the house and I love the taste of black beans and lime, so I added a squeeze as it was going and then threw the piece in. Not 10 minutes later, the water was a vibrant red. Food chemistry at work.

Lastly, as you all know, we'll be gone next week to San Diego and I have no plans to blog during that time, so there will be a bit of silence there. But, I will do my best to keep track of my various culinary adventures and report back on all of them upon my return.

|