Thursday, June 24, 2004

WTF is wrong with some people...

For starters, I would like you all to take a look at this cake:
http://www.epicurious.com/run/recipe/photo?id=109040

This cake was featured on the cover of the January 2004 issue of Gourmet.
How do you feel about this cake?
Does it make you say...angry? infuriated, even?
Would this cake, maybe, want to make you write a nasty letter to Gourmet magazine and cancel your subscription?
Would you still be talking about this cake in the middle of June?

If you are a sane person, to all of these questions, you answered: "No, of course not!"

On the other hand, if you are a Gourmet subscriber, you are so freggin infuriated over this cake, you would have done all of the above. (Without even having *made* the cake). Does any of this make sense? I mean, it's just a cake, after all. The answer is: NO. It makes no sense. People that write nasty letters to the editor over a (admittedly, slightly garish) cake need to do two things: #1 - UNCLENCH, it's just FREGGIN FOOD people! and #2 - Get their heads out of their butts and realize that every dish does not have to be about truffle oil and a balsamic reduction (now, don't get me wrong, both are great things :).

Now, I'll admit, I have a bit of the food snob in me. I try to stifle it, but it does come out every once-in-awhile. But it seems like these Gourmet subscribers have me beat. Time and time again, I've seen people write to the editor and write reviews on the website which seem to reveal nothing more than a pompous attitude that makes me want to slap them. Look, I love food. Shoot, I'm spending a pile of money in order to make food my career/life. But, I just cannot get this worked up about it. At the end of the day, food should make you happy. You *should* enjoy what you eat, you *should* feel good about your meals. These things are important to me. And neither of these two properties are, in any way/shape/form, limited to "fine" food. Quite the contrary. I can get these feelings by something as simple as a cold slice of watermelon on a hot summer day or a warm leek and potato soup in the middle of winter.

So.. throw some sweet potatoes in your Viking Oven, flip some pancakes on your T-Fal pan. Enjoy food! And shut the hell up and eat the damn cake!

Btw, this is my 100th post. Yah! Big number for someone who was so resistant of the blogging thing for awhile.

|