Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Next up.

10.9.2004 - 19:00 - Cleveland, Ohio - Flying Fig Restaurant

After our last, very enjoyable, visit, we'd been eager to head back to Flying Fig. So, this past Saturday, with a bit of extra cash in hand, we decided to splurge and enjoy a night out. Genevieve got dressed up in her finest, cutest, outfit and I in my..well, I got as dressed up as I get and out we went.

The place was moderately busy when we arrived, but we were seated promptly at a table with a prominent view of the kitchen (which I tried to peer into, to no avail). Starting things out, Genevieve was a bit disappointed. One of the main reasons we came was that she wanted to have the tofu dish they had last time. Unfortunately, Flying Fig keeps to the "standard" one-veggie-entree-option and it had changed. This time around, it was pasta, served with eggplant cannelloni (the eggplant itself was sliced thin, fried up, and served as the wrap for the cheese filling. An awesome idea, I thought.) So, she ordered that. But, I'm getting ahead of myself. We started our meal out with a few appetizers. I got a duck enchilada, served with a peanut sauce and topped with crema. I'd gotten this last time and it is simply amazing. For those meat-eaters out there, if you visit Flying Fig, I can't recommend this appetizer strongly enough. I'm not even a big fan of duck, at all, and I love it. Genevieve started out with green beans, fried in a tempura batter and served with two dipping sauces. It was a mass of food. Green beans piled high on the plate. Though, alone, the beans were a bit on the bland side, the dipping sauces were awesome. The only bad point was that there was, simply, too much, and we had to waste food in order not to be full by the time dinner came.

Next up, the Entrees. As I mentioned before, Genevieve got a pasta sauce with eggplant cannelloni, which, as it turned out, wasn't very good. It's kind of a point of contention that most fancy restaurants, having to offer *something* to all the veggies out there, can't think of more than pasta. It seems so lame and lazy for a restaurant which puts so much effort into their other dishes. That's not to say it wasn't good, it was okay, just not $20.00 okay. It would have been an enjoyable meal at a lesser restaurant, but there, with expectations so high, it was a let down. I got, meat eater that I am, pork tenderloin, topped with a balsamic glaze and served with corn fritters, mashed potatoes and finished with, what else..figs. The only bad thing I can say about the dish is that the corn fritters were a bit dry, but that was certainly made up for by the meltingly tender pork and ultra-ultra creamy mashed potatoes. It was alot of meat though and my stomach was feeling it later that night, but, for then, I enjoyed it quite a bit. We finished the meal off with sharing a molten chocolate cake. That, was, needless to say, awesome.

We were left with kind of an iffy experience, overall. Though most of the food was excellent, the lame attempt at a veggie option left a bitter feeling in our mouths. Their menu will soon be changing though and it's our hope that the veggie entree will improve with it.

More to come...

|