Wednesday, February 16, 2005

It's been a bit since I've shared a recipe, but I made this one last night and it was not only incredibly easy to make, but very yummy.

Garlic Tomato Soup

2 tbsp olive oil
5 cloves of garlic, chopped or pressed
1 tbsp paprika (we used smokey/hot paprika)
1 cup of light veggie (or chicken, for you meat eaters) stock
1/4 cup of dry sherry *
2 X 28oz. cans of tomatoes, undrained, blended until smooth
salt

(optional:
parsley, chopped
cheese (feta or parmesan)
)

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
Add the garlic and cook until golden (about 5 minutes)
Add the paprika and cook for about 30 seconds, stirring constantly (make sure not to burn it!)
Deglaze the pan with a splash (about 1/4 cup) of stock and let simmer for a minute.
Add remaining stock, sherry and tomatoes. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Salt to taste

Finish with a sprinkle of parsley and cheese, if desired.

* Now, before someone goes "I don't have Sherry, I'll omit it" or "Sherry is too expensive". Let me tell you: Sherry is used a lot in cooking and *it lasts*. I have been using the same bottle of Sherry that I bought for $5.00 or something many years ago. Obviously, the better the Sherry is, your dish will be that much better, but, for now, buy the cheap stuff, you'll not be missing out.

|