Thursday, April 14, 2005

Announcement

Let me preface this by saying that this is a decision that I have not come to lightly. I've probably caused myself more mental anguish than is needed. But, as of yesterday, I have put in my 2 weeks notice at the current restaurant. I have nothing else lined up and I'm not sure if I will get another 2nd job before going to school in September. But, I just felt that, though the experience is something I could use, the work was not right for me. Restaurant work is hard work. You're on your feet all the time, surrounded by a constant stream of noise (from people and equipment) and a million and one ways to hurt yourself. In order to do it, I feel, I have to enjoy the food I am making, to make that environment worth it. At the current restaurant, that simply was not the case. The food bored me. I could do it, flipping burgers and quesadillas, that's something I can do in my sleep, it just didn't inspire me. I didn't even like eating there, when I was on break. Maybe if I was hard up for the cash, it would be different. But, I don't need the money and I don't need to work *two* jobs which I do not enjoy, so I did the professional thing and gave notice. (Plus, if I don't give notice, I'd only get minimum wage on my first and only check.) I'm trying not to view this as a failure, but as a chance to further define, for myself, what I am looking for.

|