Monday, April 25, 2005

Much more than working from a cookbook, I love taking the knowledge I've gained from them and making my own creations. Unfortunately, I rarely measure when I do things like that, so reproduction is rarely possible. Recently, though, I've taken to making a zucchini and garlic dish that is sooo simple and yet has become a hit in our house. This, I can repeat. It's nowhere near a main course, but makes an excellent side:

This serves one person (though it's easy to cook up larger quantities).

  • Cut up 1 small to medium zucchini into strips (about the size of linguini)
  • Throw into a pan over high heat. I use cooking spray to cook it in, but about 1 tsp of canola would do nicely
  • Cook for 1 minute and throw in 1 minced clove of garlic. Toss.
  • Leave it alone! You want carmelization of the zucchini. This is very important.
  • When the zucchini has reached a good brown at the bottom and softened up, plate it and add a sprinkle of kosher salt and a small spray of lime. If done right, it will have a nice meaty flavor. Yum!


Other dishes made this weekend (though not necessarily completely original):

  • Chocolate Custard
  • Chocolate meringues (what an awesome way to change 5 eggs into two dishes) - This dish made me very nervous though. The last time I tried to make meringues, it was from my own head (not a recipe) and I screwed them up badly. I am happy to say that these turned out well, if not a little small.
  • JalapeƱo and scallion cream cheese spread
  • Portabella mushroom sandwiches
  • Basil Mayo


My mother-in-law is coming this week, so I'm brainstorming, trying to think of something interesting (and tasty!) to make for her.

In unrelated news, I am officially no longer working the restaurant job. Though I am glad for the extra time off, it's going to take some getting used to, having my Saturdays free again.

|