Monday, May 02, 2005

Genevieve's mom was in town this weekend. It was, overall, a pretty relaxing weekend, though alot of cooking went on :)

On Thursday night, we headed to Lopez (see previous blog entry). Susan (Genevieve's mom) got a chicken enchilada dish that was excellent, Genevieve got the same thing as last time (a mushroom quesadilla) and I tried something new..the Mexican Lasagna. Though the lasagna was good, it wasn't nearly as tasty as the duck quesadillas I'd gotten last time. I mean, I love cheese as much as the next guy, but there is a point where it overpowers a dish, no matter how flavorful the other ingredients are, and this was one of those times. It was hefty though and ended up not only being my dinner that night, but lunch the next day. Oh, we also split an appetizer. I forget the name, but it was this goat cheese dip with roasted poblanos and artichokes, served with fresh made chips. Very yummy.

Friday, I made dinner at home. I served a pita pizza with roasted eggplant and fontina cheese. It was good. Nothing outstanding or worthy of writing at length about, but certainly tasty.

Saturday (Lunch) was portabella burgers with basil mayo, served with a side of my "famous" chili fries (without the Tabasco). The burgers were good, but as always, a bit messy. I am hoping to one-day figure out how to make a portabella burger that doesn't ooze mushroom juice. I tried squeezing the mushroom to death, while cooking, but that didn't seem to do much, other than cook the 'shrooms quicker.

Saturday (Dinner) was a basic garlic tomato soup and garlic croutons topped with french goat cheese and rosemary served with a french salad on the side. The tomato soup is very basic stuff. I believe I've even printed the recipe here. But, it's still good.

Sunday, we skipped breakfast and had a deliscious brunch of cinnamon french toast topped with berries in a sweet wine sauce (there is a french name for this, but I, sadly, can't even spell it), served with sweet potato hash. We've had this as a decadent sort of dinner before (strangely, never for actual *breakfast*) and it proved to be excellent, as always.

Sunday, dinner..oh, this was my favorite. My taco bar. It's a dish where I basically can make the sort of food I love to make and it has the whole "assemble your own" thing that is great for people with different tastes and spice tolerances. Here's the run-down:


  • Homemade Tortillas
  • Roasted Poblanos
  • Roasted Corn
  • Smokey Kidney Beans with Lime
  • Avocado slices with lime
  • Lime Wedges (I love the lime ;)
  • Cumin Spiced Potatoes
  • Shredded Queso Blanco
  • Chipotle Cream
  • Basic Cooked Tomato Salsa
  • Romaine Lettuce


Yum!

|