Thursday, May 12, 2005

A trip to the Dentist..

Okay, look, I'm not going to bore you with all the details: how I have a whole slew of work to get done or how I need to keep better track of flossing or become a very prime candidate for periodontal disease. Instead, I'd like to focus on one aspect of my visit: the waiting room.

You see, in this waiting room was a television and attached to this television was a DVD player and the DVD playing on this player...oh my. Imagine a 30 minute loop of some guy telling you one of the following items:

  • You are going to get periodontal disease and your teeth are all falling out
  • There's so much bacteria in your mouth right now, your teeth are all falling out
  • You have an ugly smile, which means your teeth are falling out
  • Insurance blows and they will not cover you when your teeth fall out
  • Gum disease is slowly killing you.


You get it..
So, for a nervous guy, like myself, this was like watching 'Crash' before going on a road trip with a bunch of creepy strangers. I don't think these feelings were too unexpected though. I mean, they don't play videos on throat cancer when you go to a Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor. They don't constantly spin videos on sudden infant death syndrome in the maternity ward. Why? Because it would freak people out. Seriously, it's enough that I have to go in and fess up to my doctor that I hadn't had my teeth cleaned in 10+ years, I don't need to see some guy tell me how gum disease is going to cause me to die in my sleep at 30.

|