Wednesday, May 18, 2005

We take a temporary break from food talk for an important message.

"Cleveland to get first Wal-Mart after all "

After City Council rejected the idea, it seems Major Jane has gone behind everyone's backs and worked out a deal to bring Wal-Mart into the Steelyard Commons. There's, apparently, nothing that can to be done to stop it now. They didn't announce it until it was past the point of no return. This pisses me off to no end. WHY do we want to turn our cities into the 'burbs! The homogenization of America, through stores like Wal-Mart, sickens me. At least before, I could say "Well, those are the 'burbs, I don't have to worry about that in the city." Apparently, this is no longer the case. I really wish I was living in Cleveland for just another few months, just to vote against Mayor Jane.

From the PD article:

"Schneider hopes to land Target, Best Buy and Staples, along with a half-dozen or more restaurants. He would not name the potential restaurants but said they would most likely be chains such as Applebee's, Olive Garden and Outback Steakhouse. "

So...it's going to be like North Olmsted. great. Sure, I know, I'm not going to be living in Cleveland for too much longer, but 1) I like Cleveland, I love my neighborhood, I don't want to see this happening and 2) I see this as being symptomatic of a larger problem in cities across the country. I once took a business trip to Eagan, MN and, even though I had to fly to get there, there was literally no difference between the area I stayed there or the 'burbs around here. I could have easily been in the 'burbs in Cleveland as in Minnesota. DO we really want our country to look the goddamn same, wherever we go?

Anyways, enough ranting. Read the article here

|