Sunday, August 21, 2005

Since they were requested, some recipes from last night's party:

Apple and Jalapeno Coleslaw
I actually stole this idea from a vendor at Taste of Tremont this year. I believe it was Starkweather. They had this slaw that unbelievable good and I did my best to recreate it (though mine did turn out a bit spicier than theirs).

1 small head of cabbage
1 tsp of salt
1 tsp of pepper
a few generous splashes of tabasco sauce
2 tbsp white vinegar
2 granny smith apples
1 can of pickled jalapenos
1/2 cup of golden raisins
3 tbsb sugar
1 cup of shredded carrots
1/3 cup of mayo (or nayonaise, as I used)

Wash and quarter the cabbage. Remove the stem and any loose leaves. Finely slice the cabbage.
In a large bowl, toss the cabbage with the salt. Wait at least half an hour and drain the liquid (the cabbage should now be soft and pliable).
Add the remaining ingredients, toss well and taste. Adjust the pepper and tabasco as needed.

Simple Bruschetta
I made a large batch of this, so it's kind of hard to tell you quantity, but I'll say how I prepared it.

Get that grill ready.

Roughly chop 5-6 gloves of garlic. Immerse them in about 1/2 cup of olive oil. Add a few shakes of black pepper as well. Let sit overnight, if possible. I had fine results with about 8 hours though. Brush the garlic infused oil liberally on both sides of a good white bread (I used the amazingly good pugliese from Christopher's Bakery, available in the West Side Market) and throw it on a hot grill. It probably won't take more than 20-30 seconds per side, so be careful and check your bread often. flip it and grill the other side.
Top with fresh basil (I was generous with it, about 1tbsp + per slice) and two slices of tomato. Slice in half. Sprinkle with kosher salt and serve.

You'll probably, unless you're making as much as I did, have some garlic olive oil left over. I wouldn't be crying too much over this, as it makes an excellent way to make quick garlic bread (just slather and toast in the broiler) or a beginning to a garlicky vinagrette.

Pizza toppings

  • Blue cheese, granny smith apples (cored, skinned and sliced thin), half an onion, sliced thin and caramelized.
  • Roasted tomatoes and poblanos with corn. (You can add all three items to a hot broiler. Make sure you have a new sheet of foil under your ingredients though, gotta catch all those good tomato juices. I used 3 tomatoes, 2 poblanos and 2 ears of corn. Roast all of them, remove the skin from the tomatoes and peppers, blend with those juices and some salt to taste and voila! Add a little sugar and cilantro and you'd have a killer salsa, as well.)
  • Roasted corn, sliced red onions, chives, olive oil and smoked provolone

I know giving recipes by just listing the ingredients is sheer torture for people like my sister ;) But, just add the toppings till it seems sensible. I mean, in my 1st pizza, I had like a half a pound of blue cheese, half an onion, and about 1.5 granny smith apples, but you could play around with it to your own tastes and I'm sure it would taste good.

That's it for now. I will try to post more later.

|