Monday, September 19, 2005

I know many of you are wondering about my first day of school and work and I wish I could post more about it, but I am just sooo tired right now. I had to get up at 5:30am for my ultra-early-orientation-day class (had to be at school at 7:15 and school is a 45 minutetrainride) and I had just enough time to come home, make myself some lunch, do my homework from school and wonder if I could really nap only 15 minutes before I had to head to work.

In short, school was mainly orientation. The do's and don't of the school, followed by a lecture on identifying veggies (which was terribly easy for me). Though we didn't do any actual cooking today, they did feed us (a plate of cheeses, fruit and bread). Big bonus there. Though the coffee was an even bigger bonus.

Work today was...interesting. It is the day before the restaurant opened and the owner was kind of flipping out because he wasn't happy with the menu or the direction he's chosen. Thankfully, he did not take any of this stress out on the staff (which was excellent and a very good sign) and, by the end of the night, had calmed down and was working out how he might solve his problems. As it was a massive effort to get the restaurant ready, there were alot of employees there, some of which probably work the breakfast/lunch shift and, as such, I might rarely see again. I did get to work with a close friend of the owner and co-chef who was an excellent guy and I liked quite a bit. I look forward to working with him. All in all, I was worried that, between school and work, I was going to have some sort of breakdown, but I leave today firmly believing that I will be able to do it and maybe, at times, have fun at the same time ;)

|