Thursday, October 20, 2005

A small update...

The cheese job at Murray's has been going well. I still have alot to learn about the cheeses we provide, but I've been happy that between working with the cheese and reading 'Cheese Primer', I've been able to identify (by name and sight, at least) much more than I could just a week ago. Last night, I brought home my first cheese, the Selles su Cher. I picked it because, as a small mold, it wasn't something I could taste at work and it was an AOC approved cheese. The AOC is a "seal of approval" by the government of France. Very few cheeses get this approval, since it requires the cheese be produced in the "correct" location and method. Any cheese with this seal can be counted on as a quality cheese (albiet probably not a cheap one). The Selles su Cher I picked up was a young goat cheese and, as such, very mild (though, since it was a whole mold and, therefore, still alive, I could have aged it at home, which would have resulted in a sharper and chalkier taste). Anyways, it was quite good, with a light nutty taste.

In other news, I also finished "module 1" of school today. The finishing test was a written exam and "practical", where we were required to make a cream of broccoli soup and a mayonnaise. I am happy to say I got a 100 on the mayo and a 98 on the soup (it needed a little more salt). I'm not sure what I got on the written exam yet. I celebrated by opening a bottle of hard cider that we picked up on our trip to the orchards of New York (and finished with a bit of pumpkin flan I made).

Not much else to report, I promise a more substantial blogging (and some horror movie reviews at 'Come Play with Us Danny..') soon...

|