Wednesday, January 04, 2006

A quick update for everyone:

My holidays went really well, got a lot of great gifts and I enjoyed heading back home (yes, I still consider Cleveland "home") and visiting family and friends. I hit the ground running when I came back though, having to work 4 days in a row starting the day I flew in. It wouldn't of been so bad, but they were the days leading up to New Year's Eve (which I worked and was completely nuts).

TO make matters worse, Genevieve started getting sick on the last day of vacation and hasn't managed to shake it since. I've gotten a bit of it: sore throat (which caused me to lose my voice on the busiest day of the year at work..not fun) and some coughing, but nowhere as bad as Genevieve has gotten it.

Other than that, things have been going smoothly. I'm halfway through module 4 (baking) of school, which has been a welcome relief from the very intense mod 3. The next and last in-school module is after that and then it's off into the real world for my externship. I am simulatanously excited and nervous (as is often the case with me).

Genevieve and I have also been exploring new areas of town recently. The other day we took a brief train ride into Hoboken, which was strange since it's soo close to New York, but seems so different in personality. First things, it's *much* quieter and cleaner. It also has less personality. There's always trade-offs. We also hit Sunset Park, a neighborhood in Brooklyn very close to ours. It's the Mexican area of town and I really enjoy it. It's pretty middle-class and chock full of exciting (and cheap!) food joints (I hesistate to say restaurants, as the two I have been to are such tiny hole-in-the-wall locales). I can see myself returning quite a bit. If anything, on the search for unprepared masa (not to be confused with corn flour), which my new book, Tamales 101, recommends as the best source for good tamale batter.

That's it for now. Hope everyone had a great holiday!

|