Monday, February 06, 2006

First of all, whoever has not read Genevieve's post about our trip to Queens, do so now. It's okay, I'll wait.

Done? Good. Anyways, as an addendum to all of that:
Getting around in the Corona neighborhood of Queens, I was completely embarassed by my lack of Spanish skills. Despite having a great cd and book set from my dad, I've just completely not had the time to sit down and learn it. Being someone interested in Mexican cooking and living in a city like New York, with such a high spanish speaking population, it's, to me, an almost inexcusable amout of ignorance. It truly makes me feel very limited in learning about a culture I am very much interested in. It's my hope that, after school, I can buckle down and learn it.

I did get a chance to completely clean my molcajete today. You see, being made of lava rock, there's still some sediment in there. This is cleaned up by grinding rice to powder in it, until the rice stops turning so gray. (Which, if you buy a cheap molcajete like I did last time, never....ever...happens). In this case though, it took about 2 rounds of it before it became clean and ready to go. I am very excited :)

I did more international exploring today, walking for awhile through Chinatown. Truly, other than in it's size and breadth of cuisine (which is impressive), Chinatown doesn't do much for me. Unless you're looking for some good food (though the grocery spots left me wary of the produce they carried) or cheap bootleg handbags, it's just that...alot of cheap junk. THough I wasn't able to resist when I saw a small stuffed Gizmo in a little shop in chinatown (a terribly geeky recreation of the beginning of the movie).

Tonight, we grabbed some awesome sushi at Blue Ribbon (the last time we went there was before we moved) and finished it off with a slice of cake and tea at Cococa Bar. THis was all to celebrate Genevieve's new job. Very exciting :)

That's it for now.

|