Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Book Recommendation:

For those who do any sort of street biking, be it on the one way streets of Brooklyn, packed with parked cars, or on the bicycle-unfriendly streets of Cleveland, I can't recommend enough: The Art of Urban Cycling by Robert Hurst. I picked this up from the library a few weeks ago and it's positively the most entertaining book on cycling I have seen. It's written in a very conversational and low-key style with a message of flexibility and safety throughout. It, numerous times, simply tells the reader to break the law. This is not to get you somewhere faster, but with the idea of keeping the cyclist safe and riding easily in a car heavy environment. Though it lays the facts about accidents out: that basically every cyclist who travels with frequency will "wipe-out" about once a year and get in a serious accident once every five years, regardless of skill level, it does so in a way that doesn't intend to scare the reader, but to reinforce why paying attention to your surroundings and biking defensively are so important. Even in these past few rides, I find myself not only biking with more awareness of potential hazards but with additional confidence from this knowledge.

In related news, Genevieve found this t-shirt for me the other day.

I am definitely buying this!

|